Masjid Extension & Renovation Project
*NEW* - Project update 02/06/16
Alhamdo lillah, by the Grace of Almighty Allah, we are pleased to announce that the main Masjid is now open for 5 times Salaat and Jumu’a.
Currently, only the 2 halls are open – classrooms are not accessible.
The building/renovation work is not yet complete and work will be ongoing.
Unfortunately, we do not yet have wudhu or toilet facilities.
Click above to view the latest images from the construction project
The Ilford Muslim Society, a registered charity in the U.K., was formed in 1978. Masjid-E-Da'watul Islam is also known as Balfour Road Mosque. The current site was purchased back in 1986. On the opposite page you can see the site as it used to look back in 1986. The cabin was demolished and a complete refurbishment took place in 1991/92 of the house to make it look like the way it does now. Ongoing the Society purchased the house behind the Masjid in Thorold Road number 113 and then the adjoining property 111. Within these 2 houses we have Madressa classes, Jumu'a and Taraweeh prayers. Then the property next door to the Masjid came available, 106 Balfour Road, and the Society purchased this as well. Predominantly 106 Balfour Road is used for Madressa classes and Taraweeh (young Huffaaz in training) but now and again also for Jumu'a.
The community around the Masjid has grown considerably in the last few years and this can be seen in the main Masjid during Jumu'a times where Mussallis are having to pray in the car park because of lack of space in the Masjid. In addition to the Jumu'a in the main Masjid we have 2 more Jumu'as taking place in 111/113 Thorold Road. As the community has grown so has the number of children on the waiting list.
With the help of the Almighty the Society has secured planning permission from Redbridge Council for the extension of the Masjid in 2015, this will create an additional 50% space for Mussallis, increase in Wudhu/Toilet area, decent size classrooms and renovation of amenities in the existing building.
After extensive consultations with our Architect, Quantity Surveyor, M&E Consultants and Structural Engineer detailed plans were drawn up and a tender put out. The cost of the project will be in the region of £1.2 million. A contractor has now been appointed and work is about to start on the project.
The contractor started boarding (fencing) the area on Saturday 23rd January 2016.
Due to the works, the Executive Committee has decided to make certain changes in the day-to-day operation of the Masjid and Madrassa, i.e.
- Classes have had to relocated to properties in 111/113 Thorold Road and 106 Balfour Road (see separate notice)
- No access to the car park, we request that Musallis and Parents of Madrassa Students who live in the locality and are able to walk not to bring their cars
- Access to the Masjid from car park is closed and Musallis are invited to use the Melbourne Road or Balfour Road entrance
- We will endeavour to keep the toilets and wudhu area open for as long as possible
- We will endeavour to keep the Masjid open for Salaat for as long as possible
- Three Jumu'a will continue to take place: 1 in main Masjid and 2 at 111/113 Thorold Road. We request Musallis who are not employed to perform their Jumu'a at 1:15pm
- We humbly request that you remember in your dua's to ask the Almighty for His help in this project that He makes it easy for us
- Lastly, please donate generously and may the Almighty accept your kind donations and reward you in this life and the Hereafter
We will endeavour to keep you up to date on the project on this website with pictures as the work continues
To donate you can:
1. Come personally to the Masjid Office and give your donation
2. Send a cheque in the post (payable to 'Ilford Muslim Society')
3. Bank Transfer (please contact the Masjid Office by phone or email)
When making a donation, if you have not already done so, fill in a gift aid declaration (only if you pay income tax). By you doing this we can reclaim the tax you have paid, so if you have donated £1000 we can reclaim from HMRC £200.